nounchiefly North American
- 1(On a mountain) the line or altitude above which no trees grow. Also called tree line.More example sentences
- Its nesting habitat is on remote, rocky ridges above the timberline.
- Above the timberline, which lies at about 10,200 feet, the habitat is alpine tundra.
- Horticulturists who hike above the timberline have noticed a remarkable phenomenon: Some of the most delicate and beautiful wildflowers grow in exposed scree.
- 1.1(In high northern (or southern) latitudes) the line north (or south) of which no trees grow.More example sentences
- It adopts a bushy form at the high-altitude timberline along the Andes from northern to southern Patagonia.
More definitions of timberlineDefinition of timberline in:
- The British & World English dictionary