Definition of timer in English:
1An automatic mechanism for activating a device at a preset time: a video timer
More example sentences
- Some of these models also provide a greater number of programs, automatic shut-off timers and mechanisms that keep noise to a minimum.
- The valve-on state can be activated from a remote robotic device when the automatic timer on the unit is off.
- I refer to those who pre-tear toilet tissue to avoid work on Shabbat, but set automatic timers on the TV to turn on the college football games.
1.1A person or device that measures or records the amount of time taken by a process or activity.
- There was also a countdown timer to measure elapsed time for each question.
- He has seven lined up in a row, with an electronic timer on each to record how many solid punches can be landed in two minutes.
- Then, still using your timer, record how long it takes for the star to realign with the stick from one night to the next.
Words that rhyme with timerclimber, Jemima, mimer, old-timer, part-timer, primer, rhymer
Definition of timer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.