(also tin plate)
Sheet steel or iron coated with tin.
- Coal and coke transformed the industry and a specialization developed in coated steel plate, tinplate, and galvanized sheet.
- On the other hand, the pine, ash, iron, tinplate, metal type, and tools with which we worked at Eastfield seemed very real indeed.
- Nominal coating thickness for equally coated tinplate range from 0.38 to 1.54 m on each surface.
verb[with object] (often as adjective tinplated or tin-plated)
Coat (an object) with tin.
- Containers used for aerosols are typically made of either tinplated steel or aluminum because of their superior strength.
- The original flat sheet of tinplated steel can be coated with a protective lacquer on the inside.
- By its design, the traditional failure mode in tinplated connections, fretting corrosion, is prevented.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of tinplate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.