(also tin plate)
Definition of tinplate in English:
Sheet steel or iron coated with tin.
- Coal and coke transformed the industry and a specialization developed in coated steel plate, tinplate, and galvanized sheet.
- On the other hand, the pine, ash, iron, tinplate, metal type, and tools with which we worked at Eastfield seemed very real indeed.
- Nominal coating thickness for equally coated tinplate range from 0.38 to 1.54 m on each surface.
verb[with object] (often as adjective tinplated or tin-plated) Back to top
Coat (an object) with tin.
- Containers used for aerosols are typically made of either tinplated steel or aluminum because of their superior strength.
- The original flat sheet of tinplated steel can be coated with a protective lacquer on the inside.
- By its design, the traditional failure mode in tinplated connections, fretting corrosion, is prevented.
Definition of tinplate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia