Definition of titrate in English:
verb[with object] Chemistry
1Ascertain the amount of a constituent in (a solution) by measuring the volume of a known concentration of reagent required to complete a reaction with it, typically using an indicator.
- To determine the exact concentration, titrating the hydrochloric acid against a solution of base, for example sodium hydroxide, would be appropriate.
- Aliquots of the peptide solution were titrated to the micelle solution to reach a peptide-to-micelle molar ratio of 1: 220.
- This solution was titrated with the HSA fragment by adding small amounts of an ~ 0.3 mM protein solution in the aqueous buffer and recording the spectrum after incubation for a few minutes after each addition.
1.1 Medicine Continuously measure and adjust the balance of (a physiological function or drug dosage).
- In general, high doses of steroids are required, but the dosage is titrated against the response and kept to the lowest effective dose, given for as short a time as possible.
- Symptoms include abdominal discomfort, metallic taste, nausea, and diarrhea; these effects are generally transient and can be minimized by taking the drug with meals and titrating the dose slowly.
- The initial dose of ritodrine was 50 mg per minute, and then the dosage was titrated to contractions.
- Example sentences
- The relationship between titratable acidity and malic acid was less obvious.
- The sign and magnitude of the pK a shift of a particular titratable group is determined by the free energy to transfer it into the low-dielectric protein cavity, and by its interactions with polar residues in the protein.
- The only extra hydrogen bond that is formed involving titratable residues is between OG1 and OE2.
- Example sentences
- So if Plotkin is correct when he says that the titration was done in Philadelphia, this would mean that the vaccine fed in Africa was of unknown titre.
- The titration was done in Philadelphia and Courtois was told to dilute the material sixty-fold in order to reach the desired dose.
- The titrations were performed with various concentrations of TFE, SDS, and DPC.
Definition of titrate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan