Definition of toadflax in English:
A Eurasian plant of the figwort family, typically having yellow or purplish snapdragonlike flowers and slender leaves.
- Linaria and related genera, family Scrophulariaceae: several species, in particular butter-and-eggs (L. vulgaris), with yellow and orange flowers and found widely as a naturalized North American weed
- The wetter areas support meadows containing Missouri goldenrod, false toadflax, golden-glow, Indian paintbrush, Mariposa lily, death camas, and prairie smoke.
- Ivy climbed over the stones and other plants - toadflax, herb robert, wild strawberries, primroses - grew in a splendid profusion.
- Flowers: suitable for the less formal border are harebell, foxglove, ox-eye daisy, toadflax, alpine, autumn and field gentians, cranesbill, forget-me-not, and viper's bugloss.
Definition of toadflax in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia