A synthetic compound used to lower blood sugar levels in the treatment of diabetes.
- Alternative name: 1-butyl-3-tosylurea; chemical formula: C12H18N2O3S
More example sentences
- For example, sulfonamides used for infection were noted to lower blood sugar and led to drugs such as tolbutamide for diabetes.
- Based on studies of the distribution of first-generation sulfonylureas into breast milk, the AAP considers tolbutamide to be compatible with breast-feeding.
- In some studies, karela extract has shown more hypoglycemic effects than the drug tolbutamide.
1950s: from tol(uene) + but(yl) + amide.
Definition of tolbutamide in:
- The British & World English dictionary