- The digestive gland of a lobster, which turns green when cooked. It is sometimes considered a delicacy.More example sentences
- The tomalley is the creamy, pea-colored liver and pancreas of the lobster often used to thicken soups and sauces.
- Cut the lobster in half and remove the tomalley, or liver (that soft, blackish-green stuff in the stomach).
- Return the pan to the heat with the cream sauce still in it, and add the soft contents of the lobster head, including the tomalley if available which will turn the sauce pink.
mid 17th century: from French taumalin, from Carib taumali.
More definitions of tomalleyDefinition of tomalley in:
- The British & World English dictionary