Definition of tomb in English:
1A large vault, typically an underground one, for burying the dead.
- It is England's oldest borough; Athelstan, the first king of England was initially buried here and his tomb remains in the abbey.
- This is the town where Padro Pio spent most of his life and is buried in the tomb in the friary.
- The shrine was once a beautiful golden palace but the years had worn away its natural beauty and now only some walls, statues and the underground tombs remained.
1.1An enclosure for a corpse cut in the earth or in rock.
- Our junket included stops at the ruins of a Roman coliseum, a sulfur mud bath, and some ancient Lycean rock tombs - all sites inaccessible by car or bus.
- It resembles the rock cut chambered tombs of the Mediterranean, though it is probably of local inspiration.
- In 1923 Sir Flinders Petrie found another cache of fossils at Qua, wrapped in linen and carefully stored in rock tombs.
1.2A monument to the memory of a dead person, erected over their burial place.
- Her son Henry erected a tomb over her grave at Fontevraud.
- In Egypt pyramids were used as monumental tombs, whereas in Mesopotamia, Mesoamerica, and South America they were temple platforms.
- Abera is now a worthy successor to his great predecessor, whose premature death in 1973 is marked by a monumental tomb in Addis Ababa.
1.3Used in similes and metaphors to refer to a place or situation that is extremely cold, quiet, or dark, or that forms a confining enclosure: the house was as quiet as a tomb
More example sentences
- The top of the house seems to go on forever, as dark and quiet as a tomb.
- His footsteps were ten times louder when there was no other sound; no servants working or glass trinkets falling made the palace quieter than a tomb.
- She's whipped the place into shape and everything's sparkly clean, not to mention the fact that the place is as quiet as a tomb, aside from the tapping of keyboards or phone ringing.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan