- A country in the South Pacific Ocean that consists of an island group southeast of Fiji; population 120,900 (est. 2009); capital, Nuku’alofa; languages, Tongan and English (both official). Also called the Friendly Islands.
The kingdom of Tonga consists of about 170 volcanic and coral islands, of which 36 are inhabited. Visited by the Dutch in the early 17th century, Tonga became a British protectorate in 1900 and an independent Commonwealth of Nations state in 1970. It has been a constitutional monarchy since 1875
Entry from British & World English dictionary
noun (plural same or Tongas)
adjectiveBack to top
- A light horse-drawn two-wheeled vehicle used in India.More example sentences
- A horse-drawn tonga keeps stately pace with the latest Mercedes, jostled by cycles and bikes.
- From there you take a bone-shaking bumpy ride in a tonga to Bisola.
- There are people astride camels and horses, and some ensconced within tongas and bullock carts for fun-filled rides.
from Hindi tā̃gā.
More definitions of TongaDefinition of tonga in:
- The British & World English dictionary