Definition of Tongan in English:
Of or relating to Tonga or its people or language.
- Most people preferred English as the medium of expression as it conveyed for them better than the Tongan language the frequently painful and mixed emotions they felt about their cultural identity.
- The biweekly newspaper which gathers stories from Tongan communities in Australia, New Zealand and the United States as well as in Tonga, has seen its share of harassment.
- They own Tongan telecommunications, electricity and insurance companies and a good chunk of the Kingdom's real estate.
nounBack to top
1A native or inhabitant of Tonga.
- In addition, Tongans, Tahitians and, Fijians participate in the Pacific Islander Festival, a weekend event held annually in Southern California since 1990.
- Last year, a number of Samoans, Fijians and Tongans who were playing for New Zealand provinces were told that, if they went to the World Cup, they would lose their day jobs.
- Pacific Islanders living in New Zealand include Cook Islanders, Samoans, Tongans, Tokelauans, Fijians, and Nieueans.
2The Polynesian language spoken in Tonga.
- The ‘Uvean language is a Western Polynesian language closely related to Tongan.
- However, Tongan is the language commonly spoken in the streets, shops, markets, schools, offices, and churches.
- With such other languages as Hawaiian, Samoan, and Tongan, it is a member of the Polynesian branch of the Malayo-Polynesian language family.
Words that rhyme with Tonganwrong'un
Definition of Tongan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.