noun(also a pair of tongs)
- An instrument with two movable arms that are joined at one end, used for picking up and holding things: ice tongsMore example sentences
- Once in the door you'll be straight over to the hearth, emptying ashes and raking dead coals, scooping up briquettes of turf with a pair of tongs and stacking them up.
- I attacked the bowl of molluscs using a great technique I was once taught for eating mussels without cutlery, by using an empty shell as a finger-sized pair of tongs.
- Hold them in a Bunsen burner flame with a pair of tongs.
Old English tang(e) (singular), of Germanic origin; related to Dutch tang and German Zange.
More definitions of tongsDefinition of tongs in:
- The British & World English dictionary