Definition of tonify in English:
verb (tonifies, tonifying, tonified)[with object]
1.1(Of acupuncture or herbal medicine) increase the available energy of (an organ, part, or system of the body).
- Finally, legumes are an important source of valuable phytochemicals such as saponins, which tonify the immune system and inhibit the DNA synthesis of cancer cells.
- These foods are nutritionally dense and tonify all bodily tissues.
- A substance used in Chinese medicine that tonifies the blood and is of specific benefit to the nails is gelatin.
- Example sentences
- In many cases, the patients are instructed to continue herbal therapy at a much lower dose in pill form for long-term tonification.
- For some people who only need slight tonification, they can take the regular powdered dosage of 1-2 grams every third, fifth or seventh day.
- Eventually the constant mild nourishing tonification, combined with strict avoidance of coffee and alcohol, perhaps will begin to soften the hardened cells.
Definition of tonify in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan