Definition of tooth shell in English:
A burrowing mollusk with a slender tusk-shaped shell, which is open at both ends and typically white, and a three-lobed foot. Also called tusk shell.
- Class Scaphopoda, in particular the genus Dentalium
- Even I, who entered not knowing an egg cockle from a dosinia, came out savvy of tooth shells and lightning whelks.
- They are also known as tooth shells and resemble an elephant's tusks.
- Amphineura, containing the chitons, and Scaphopoda, represented by the elephant tooth shell, are two classes of less popular interest.
Definition of tooth shell in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India