Definition of toothed whale in English:
A predatory whale having teeth rather than baleen plates. Toothed whales include sperm whales, killer whales, beaked whales, narwhals, dolphins, and porpoises.
- Suborder Odontoceti, order Cetacea: six families and numerous species
- Odontocete cetaceans (i.e., toothed whales including dolphins and porpoises) rely upon echolocation to sense the environment and detect prey.
- Some baleen whales, most famously the humpback whales, are known for the strange and complex songs they produce; their function is not clear, but unlike toothed whales, baleen whales do not use their songs for echolocation.
- This anatomical quirk occurs only in toothed whales - including the sperm whale, narwhal, orca, and porpoise - and it helps explain an old maritime mystery.
Definition of toothed whale in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.