Definition of top dressing in English:
An application of manure or fertilizer to the surface layer of soil or a lawn.
- The compost can be used as mulch around plants, as a top dressing over your lawn which can fertilise the soil, or as a soil improver in vegetable or flower beds.
- Some sites were completely excavated and refilled with fresh compost and soil; others receive top dressing with 2 feet of compost.
- Then walk up and down the lawn pulling the device and smoothing out the mounds while top dressing the lawn at the same time.
- Example sentences
- Finish pruning and top-dress fruit trees, shrubs and brambles with well-rotted manure or compost.
- Use the small marbles to top-dress your lawn, or mulch roses, vegetables or flower beds.
- Rake up the cores and top-dress with a fine mulch, such as compost.
Pronunciation: /ˈtäp ˌdres/verb
Definition of top dressing in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.