- Example sentences
- Furtive and nimble tipplers and topers nightly dodged through alleys and back yards under the noses of the flashlamp-carrying guards.
- One of them asks all serious topers to banish moderate drinkers from parties and to drink until speech becomes impaired and walking impossible.
- He looks at the spectator good-naturedly and unintelligently, with the suspicious expression of an inveterate toper [habitual drinker].
Mid 17th century: perhaps an alteration of obsolete top 'overbalance'; perhaps from Dutch toppen 'slant or tilt a ship's yard'.
Words that rhyme with topeaslope, cope, dope, elope, grope, hope, interlope, lope, mope, nope, ope, pope, rope, scope, soap, taupe, trope
Entry from British & World English dictionary
- In 1894, Rice reported that there were about 2000 topes with about 100,000 trees in the entire Bangalore District.
From Telugu tōpu or Tamil tōppu.
- Spanish dictionary
- Genus Galeorhinus, family Carcharhinidae: the eastern Atlantic G. galeus, and the commercially important G. australis of Australia
- Chunking in the vicinity of fish means blue sharks, tope and spurdogs.
- What looked like a cross between a tope and a bull huss looked decidedly unhappy and I had to run over and get a glimpse of the biggest fish I had ever seen taken from the shore.
- The tope shark is considered harmless to humans because of its small size and its preference for small prey items.
Late 17th century: perhaps of Cornish origin.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.