- A sentence that expresses the main idea of the paragraph in which it occurs.More example sentences
- We were to underline the thesis in the first paragraph and put brackets around the topic sentence of each body paragraph.
- This logical pattern is deductive and is typically opened by a topic sentence in each paragraph (which are used to separate ideas), followed by supporting statements, helping to develop the main idea and to present related sub-topics.
- Even when I write a scene for a novel, I sometimes subconsciously begin a paragraph with a topic sentence - a perfect metaphor for science, but nearly fatal for art.
More definitions of topic sentenceDefinition of topic sentence in:
- The British & World English dictionary