- A place name, especially one derived from a topographical feature.More example sentences
- Without literary traditions, they relied on mental maps for describing places and fixed specific locations using toponyms and oral descriptions.
- Perhaps the most commonly narrated Spanish usurpation of a Miskitu toponym is the colonial name referring to the Moskitia itself, Taguzgalpa.
- Indeed, toponyms often embed the meaning of that place in their etymology.
1930s: from Greek topos 'place' + onuma 'name'.
More definitions of toponymDefinition of toponym in:
- The British & World English dictionary