Definition of tormentil in English:
A low-growing Eurasian plant with bright yellow flowers. The root is used in herbal medicine to treat diarrhea.
- Potentilla erecta, family Rosaceae
- On the ground, patches of yellow tormentil, blue-purple and red-magenta milkwort were growing at regular intervals, with small heath, small copper, green hairstreak and other butterfly species putting in the occasional appearance.
- The grassland areas are grazed by a mixture of cattle and Jacob's sheep, and are sprinkled with wild flowers including devil's-bit scabious, oxeye daisy, bird's-foot-trefoil, harebell and tormentil.
- It sings from the bumblebee slash on a motorway truck, wild flowers massed on grass: celandine, lady's slipper, tormentil, tiny warriors pitting themselves against air fogged with chemicals…
Definition of tormentil in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan