- A form of tachycardia in which the electrical pulse in the heart undergoes a cyclical variation in strength, giving a characteristic electrocardiogram resembling a twisted fringe of spikes.More example sentences
- These changes may result in cardiac arrhythmias, such as torsade de pointes, atrial fibrillation, supraventricular tachycardia, and ventricular tachycardia.
- Such prolongation increases the risk of torsade de pointes, a ventricular tachycardia-fibrillation with a characteristic electrocardiogram presentation.
- Patients who experience dizziness, palpitations, or syncope while taking ziprasidone therapy should be evaluated further for the potential occurrence of torsade de pointes.
1960s: French, literally 'twist of spikes'.
More definitions of torsade de pointesDefinition of torsade de pointes in:
- The British & World English dictionary