noun (plural torulae /-lē/ /-lī/)
1 (also torula yeast) A yeast cultured for use in medicine and as a food additive, especially as a source of vitamins and protein.
- Candida utilis, subdivision Deuteromycotina.
- The company's fresh-baked Vegekibble for dogs is made of whole wheat and soy flour, corn meal, torula yeast, garlic, vegetable broth and a vegan supplement.
- Alternatively cooked and extruded rice products can be similarly improved with torula yeast prior to puffing.
- Provesta Micro-Feast ® L - 10 larval diet, an enriched dehydrated torula yeast, was used in this study.
2A yeastlike fungus composed of chains of rounded cells, several kinds growing on dead vegetation and some causing infections.
- Genus Torula (or formerly this genus), subdivision Deuteromycotina: several species, in particular T. herbarum, which grows on dead grasses.
- The London County Country Medical Officer discovered, for example, the following in samples of ice cream: cocci, bacilli, torulae, cotton fiber, lice, bed bugs, bug's legs, fleas, straw, human hair, and cat and dog hair.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of torula in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.