Relating to a system of government that is centralized and dictatorial and requires complete subservience to the state: a totalitarian regime
More example sentences
- We usually connect propaganda to totalitarian regimes and undemocratic societies.
- More often, in fact, they are foot soldiers of totalitarian regimes and of mob rule.
- Everywhere that people lived under totalitarian dictatorships, they felt he was one of them.
A person advocating a totalitarian system of government.
- Shakespeare thus places himself between utopian totalitarians and libertarian fundamentalists.
- We are radicals - not extremists and totalitarians.
- Twentieth-century totalitarians - fascists and communists - felt constrained to bow toward popular sovereignty with plebiscitary forms.
Words that rhyme with totalitarianagrarian, antiquarian, apiarian, Aquarian, Arian, Aryan, authoritarian, barbarian, Bavarian, Bulgarian, Caesarean (US Cesarean), centenarian, communitarian, contrarian, Darien, disciplinarian, egalitarian, equalitarian, establishmentarian, fruitarian, Gibraltarian, grammarian, Hanoverian, humanitarian, Hungarian, latitudinarian, libertarian, librarian, majoritarian, millenarian, necessarian, necessitarian, nonagenarian, octogenarian, ovarian, Parian, parliamentarian, planarian, predestinarian, prelapsarian, proletarian, quadragenarian, quinquagenarian, quodlibetarian, Rastafarian, riparian, rosarian, Rotarian, sabbatarian, Sagittarian, sanitarian, Sauveterrian, sectarian, seminarian, septuagenarian, sexagenarian, topiarian, Trinitarian, ubiquitarian, Unitarian, utilitarian, valetudinarian, vegetarian, veterinarian, vulgarian
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.