(Of an outcome, especially one that is desired) possible but very uncertain: it was touch and go there for a while whether they would make it
More example sentences
- Do you anticipate any additional touch-and-go maneuvers?
- Paddling on Lake Athabasca is a bumpy, touch-and-go affair.
- Now it seems like he probably will, though it's still very touch-and-go.
uncertain, precarious, risky, chancy, hazardous, dangerous, critical, suspenseful, cliffhanging, hanging by a thread
noun(touch-and-go) (plural touch-and-goes)
A maneuver in which an aircraft touches the ground as in landing, and immediately takes off again.
- He did 10 touch-and-goes on his next landing - I've never seen an airplane bounce so high so much, so far.
- Thoroughly warm the aircraft engine by taking the plane up for some touch-and-goes or a quick trip to a local airport for the usual high-cholesterol breakfast.
- For example, a plane that makes many flights or touch-and-goes during the year should have its landing gear lubricated.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: touch and go
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.