1(Of a telephone) having push buttons and generating tones to dial rather than pulses.
- Back in the 1940s, when the area code system was designed, there was no such thing as a touch-tone phone - all telephones operated via rotary dialing pulse operation.
- By combining the input of a caller with tailor made scripts, IVR systems allow callers to call into a company or IVR hosting company using a touch-tone telephone, and then to interact with the system in real time.
- The ability to play back voice sessions from any touch-tone telephone is a very important feature.
1.1(Of a service) accessed or controlled by the tones generated by touch-tone these telephones.
- The company has brought out a touch-tone service that will give you the PUK for any BT Cellnet phone - all you need is the mobile's phone number.
- Then the '90s hit, corporations further alienated people with touch-tone technology, and we all learned that the little guy on the lower-right corner of our dial pad had an easier to pronounce name than ‘#.’
- There is one major difference between a traditional touch-tone application call flow and one that is designed for speech recognition systems which make them far more user-friendly: Personality is built in.
Definition of touch-tone in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.