- 1A strip of paper impregnated with niter, for lighting fireworks or explosive substances.More example sentences
- They delight in allowing their children within close proximity of devices that will burn their faces off quicker than you can say 'light the blue touchpaper and stand well back'.
- And he can light the blue touchpaper on a Roman Candle, but it may be impossible to tell whether the ensuing two second fizzing is the intended special effect or a product malfunction.
- Light the blue touchpaper, and retire to a safe distance.
- 1.1Used in reference to an action that is likely to cause anger or controversy: it was an intervention by the umpire that lit the blue touchpaperMore example sentences
- He may not be around to light the blue touchpaper at future internationals, but fireworks lie ahead.
- If we follow this route, I think we can both say, with considerable justification, that we have exhausted every conceivable avenue prior to lighting the litigation touchpaper.
- Any proposed variation of a ban immediately ignites a toxic touchpaper.
More definitions of touchpaperDefinition of touchpaper in:
- The British & World English dictionary