Definition of tough-minded in English:
Strong, determined, and able to face up to reality.
- These subjects are strong-willed and tough-minded.
- Ironic, tough-minded, unsentimental, all three remained possessed by a piece of experience they - none of them - could actually penetrate.
- But even if tough-minded businessmen and a reform-minded government make all the right moves, B.C. is going to be a far different province in the 21st century.
- Example sentences
- The famous ‘tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime’ slogan and the ‘rights and duties’ approach to citizenship signalled a reasonable attempt to combine liberal principles and tough-mindedness.
- While acknowledging the tough-mindedness of this view, I can't help hoping that we can one day work out how to have a civilization that doesn't depend on the threat of the ultimate incivility.
- They liked the relaxed but outspoken style, together with a certain tough-mindedness, to be found among Australian philosophers, and they liked the atmosphere of Australia.
Words that rhyme with tough-mindedbroadminded, like-minded, simple-minded, single-minded, small-minded
Definition of tough-minded in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan