Definition of touraco in English:
noun (plural touracos)
A fruit-eating African bird with brightly colored plumage, a prominent crest, and a long tail.
- Family Musophagidae (the touraco family): three genera, especially Musophaga and Tauraco, and several species. The touraco family also includes the plantain-eaters
- The number of extra steps required to unite hoatzin with turacos or cuckoos is large.
- The only animals to be found here are blue and Colobus monkeys and a variety of birds including hornbill and turaco.
- The turaco was found to differentiate among the calls of predators and those of competitors.
mid 18th century: French, from a West African word.
Definition of touraco in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan