1(In a sport or game) a series of contests between a number of competitors, who compete for an overall prize.
- Can you foresee a time when gaming tournaments rival sports championships in terms of audience interest and ratings?
- Activities will include tennis coaching, co-ordination games, multi sport tournaments and lots more.
- In 14 World Cup games in five previous tournaments Korea had not won a match.
2(In the Middle Ages) a sporting event in which two knights (or two groups of knights) jousted on horseback with blunted weapons, each trying to knock the other off, the winner receiving a prize.
- Heraldry originated in medieval warfare and tournaments when it was necessary to identify knights who were completely covered in armour.
- It examines chivalric ritual and tournament, much of which took place at Greenwich.
- The Black Knight tournament is held twice a year, once in the fall term, and again in the winter term.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.