verb[with object] (usually as adjective tousled)
- Make (something, especially a person’s hair) untidy: Nathan’s tousled head appeared in the hatchwayMore example sentences
- He had dark tousled hair that appeared to have been cut by a barber in a rush.
- His usual gelled hair was tousled into a mess, his skin pale and pallid.
- Her dark brown hair was tousled and tangled with signs of restless sleep.
late Middle English (in the sense 'handle roughly or rudely'): frequentative of dialect touse 'handle roughly', of Germanic origin and related to German zausen. Compare with tussle.
More definitions of tousleDefinition of tousle in:
- The British & World English dictionary