Definition of towhee in English:
A North American songbird of the bunting family, typically with brownish plumage but sometimes black and rufous.
- Genus Pipilo (and Chlorurus), family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae): several species
- I can hear the songs of migrating birds: phoebes, white-throated sparrows, towhees, catbirds, chipping sparrows.
- Not only is the Cape flush with cardinals, towhees, mockingbirds, catbirds, goldfinches and woodpeckers, its birds of the shore entice many a visitor here.
- Many birds feed comfortably on a platform, especially the sparrows, juncos, towhees and doves that are referred to as ground feeders.
mid 18th century: imitative of the call of Pipilo erythrophthalmus.
Words that rhyme with towheetarakihi • takahe
Definition of towhee in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia