An evergreen Californian shrub of the rose family, the fruiting branches of which are used for Christmas decorations.
- Heteromeles arbutifolia, family Rosaceae
More example sentences
- Drought-tolerant shrubs range from manzanita, cotoneaster and rockrose to toyon, huckleberry and other varieties of ceanothus.
- Other good greens for fresh display include camellia, citrus, eucalyptus, holly, nandina, pine, pyracantha, red-wood, toyon, and Western red cedar.
- The gardens look lush; toyons and hollies bow under the weight of their brilliant scarlet berries, and the rosemary and jasmine are starred with constellations of blossoms.
mid 19th century: from Mexican Spanish tollón.
Definition of toyon in:
- The British & World English dictionary