Definition of toyon in English:
An evergreen Californian shrub of the rose family, the fruiting branches of which are used for Christmas decorations.
- Heteromeles arbutifolia, family Rosaceae
- Drought-tolerant shrubs range from manzanita, cotoneaster and rockrose to toyon, huckleberry and other varieties of ceanothus.
- Other good greens for fresh display include camellia, citrus, eucalyptus, holly, nandina, pine, pyracantha, red-wood, toyon, and Western red cedar.
- The gardens look lush; toyons and hollies bow under the weight of their brilliant scarlet berries, and the rosemary and jasmine are starred with constellations of blossoms.
mid 19th century: from Mexican Spanish tollón.
Definition of toyon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan