Definition of toyon in English:
An evergreen Californian shrub of the rose family, the fruiting branches of which are used for Christmas decorations.
- Heteromeles arbutifolia, family Rosaceae
- Drought-tolerant shrubs range from manzanita, cotoneaster and rockrose to toyon, huckleberry and other varieties of ceanothus.
- Other good greens for fresh display include camellia, citrus, eucalyptus, holly, nandina, pine, pyracantha, red-wood, toyon, and Western red cedar.
- The gardens look lush; toyons and hollies bow under the weight of their brilliant scarlet berries, and the rosemary and jasmine are starred with constellations of blossoms.
Mid 19th century: from Mexican Spanish tollón.
Definition of toyon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.