Definition of trachea in English:
noun (plural tracheae /-kēˌē/ or tracheas)Anatomy
1A large membranous tube reinforced by rings of cartilage, extending from the larynx to the bronchial tubes and conveying air to and from the lungs; the windpipe.
- The conducting portion of the respiratory system includes the nasal cavity, paranasal sinuses, nasopharynx, larynx, trachea, and bronchi.
- If symptoms aren't improving in that time, see your doctor to make sure you don't have a bacterial infection in your lungs, larynx, trachea, sinuses or ears.
- The larynx, trachea, and bronchi exhibited extensive squamous metaplasia of the mucosa with reactive atypia.
1.1 Entomology Each of a number of fine chitinous tubes in the body of an insect, conveying air directly to the tissues.
- Breathing is by special gas exchange organs along the side of the body called tracheae and malpighian tubules.
- This was a pretty far out idea, since blood-based gas exchange is what other arthropods use (including aquatic ones) but was previously thought to be completely absent in insects, which deliver air directly to their tissues via tracheae.
- Although tracheae appear to be compressed synchronously, the shape and direction of compression varies within local tracheal segments, and to a lesser extent, between beetles.
- Example sentences
- The receptors have long fused rhabdoms and are surrounded by a tracheal tapetum.
- The aquatic larvae or nymphs possess respiratory abdominal tracheal gills.
- The air sacs leading into and out of the lungs hold a large volume of fresh air, so in general, the respiratory costs of tracheal elongation are probably not high.
- Example sentences
- Myriapods have been traditionally considered the closest relatives of hexapods, thus implying only one origin of terrestriality for the tracheate lineage, but this view is now challenged by molecular evidence.
- The insects are tracheate.
- Insects are tracheate arthropods and employ direct transfer of respiratory gases to and from their sites of use and generation via the tracheal system.
Pronunciation: /-it, -ˌāt/adjective
Definition of trachea in:
- British & World English dictionary