Definition of trachoma in English:
A contagious bacterial infection of the eye in which there is inflamed granulation on the inner surface of the lids.
- The biggest health problems are tuberculosis, venereal diseases, malaria, trachoma, typhoid fever, and dysentery.
- Other diseases include hepatitis, trachoma, and tuberculosis.
- I saw the Chlamydial eye disease trachoma in the poor of Glasgow and lymphogranuloma in soldiers from a military hospital STD clinic in 1940 before the cause was known.
late 17th century: from Greek trakhōma 'roughness', from trakhus 'rough'.
- Example sentences
- About 7.6 million people have trachomatous trichiasis, the blinding stage of this infectious disease.
- Management of trachomatous cicatricial entropion of the upper eye lid presents a difficult problem.
- The distribution of abnormal eyelashes by the severity of trachomatous trichiasis is given in Table 3.
Definition of trachoma in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan