- A gray fine-grained volcanic rock consisting largely of alkali feldspar.More example sentences
- The mine workings occupy much of the west side of an isolated low hill composed mainly of light-colored volcanic rock, described as felsite porphyry or trachyte, highly altered to clay minerals.
- The dominant magma types are basalts and hawaiites, with lesser amounts of trachytes, quartz trachytes, alkali rhyolites and phonolites.
- In the Canaries, the lavas are much more compositionally varied in each of these stages, ranging from tholeiitic basalts to phonolites and trachytes.
early 19th century (denoting a volcanic rock with a rough or gritty surface): from Greek trakhus 'rough' or trakhutēs 'roughness'.
More definitions of trachyteDefinition of trachyte in:
- The British & World English dictionary