- An American plant with triangular three-petaled flowers, especially a tender kind widely grown as a houseplant for its trailing, typically variegated, foliage. Compare with spiderwort.
More example sentences
- Genus Tradescantia, family Commelinaceae
- I tend to grow them with grasses and similar prairie plants such as silphium, tradescantias, helleniums and asters.
- Combine with a foreground planting of tradescantias to create a cool oasis of vibrant blues and greens.
- All tradescantias tend to lose their lower leaves with age and should be propagated regularly.
modern Latin, named in honor of J. Tradescant (see Tradescant, John).
More definitions of tradescantiaDefinition of tradescantia in:
- The British & World English dictionary