Definition of trainer in English:
1A person who trains people or animals.
- He's the outstanding racehorse trainer, the trainer of flat race horses I suppose in the world.
- The committee included jockeys, owners, trainers, racing association members, and racing officials.
- She's one of those rare young people who touched counselors, teachers, coaches and trainers alike.
1.1 informal An aircraft or simulator used to train pilots.
- The naval air arm also had some Aermacchi 339 jet trainers - small aircraft that could be configured as light strike fighters.
- Moving up from simple trainers to more complex aircraft is well worth the extra effort
- After the war, a number of Pups came to Australia and flew until at least 1925, mainly as trainer fighter aircraft.
2A person whose job is to provide medical assistance to athletes.
- For a full assessment of the flexibility or range of motion of all your joints, see a physical therapist or athletic trainer.
- In Australia, trainers routinely provide swimmers with supplements.
- Most trainers require that a medical questionnaire be filled out first.
3British A soft sports shoe suitable for casual wear.
- I like smart/casual boots or shoes rather than trainers or sneakers.
- All you should need to take is a pair of very flimsy flip-flops or sandals for the beach, a pair of trainers or canvas shoes to wander around in and a pair of evening shoes for nights out.
- He will need individually made insoles permanently, and wear trainers rather than shoes for comfort.