Definition of transalpine in English:
1Of, related to, or situated in the area beyond the Alps, in particular as viewed from Italy. See also Gaul1.
- Local specialities like marinated eel with shallots co-exist with transalpine dishes involving foie gras or oysters.
- In Renaissance Diplomacy Garrett Mattingly traces the development of the residential form of diplomacy among the five Italian city-states that eventually made its way into transalpine Europe.
- These men belonged to a transalpine cultural world.
1.1Crossing the Alps: transalpine road freight
More example sentences
- Communications were improved through extensive construction of roads and waterways, most notably the transalpine Simplon Pass, completed in 1805.
- The government is negotiating to buy a share in the Transalpine Pipeline, which pumps Azeri oil from the Italian port of Trieste to Germany, in a bid to lower energy dependence on Russia.
- Transalpine freight in border-to-border transit shall be carried by rail.
Definition of transalpine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.