Definition of transalpine in English:
1Of, related to, or situated in the area beyond the Alps, in particular as viewed from Italy. See also Gaul1.
- Local specialities like marinated eel with shallots co-exist with transalpine dishes involving foie gras or oysters.
- In Renaissance Diplomacy Garrett Mattingly traces the development of the residential form of diplomacy among the five Italian city-states that eventually made its way into transalpine Europe.
- These men belonged to a transalpine cultural world.
1.1Crossing the Alps: transalpine road freight
More example sentences
- Communications were improved through extensive construction of roads and waterways, most notably the transalpine Simplon Pass, completed in 1805.
- The government is negotiating to buy a share in the Transalpine Pipeline, which pumps Azeri oil from the Italian port of Trieste to Germany, in a bid to lower energy dependence on Russia.
- Transalpine freight in border-to-border transit shall be carried by rail.
Definition of transalpine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan