- 1Put (thoughts, speech, or data) into written or printed form: each interview was taped and transcribedMore example sentences
- When the sun was three-fourths of the way down, I began to write, scribbling furiously to finish transcribing my thoughts before the light was lost altogether and we met as a group.
- Her speeches were never transcribed - at least during her stay abroad - and were never distributed adequately to the public.
- All interviews were then transcribed verbatim (with the exception of minor phrases such as ‘uh-huh’).
- 1.1Transliterate (foreign characters) or write or type out (shorthand, notes, or other abbreviated forms) into ordinary characters or full sentences.More example sentences
- Finally one day Jeanne got tired of trying to transcribe my notes that were scribbled on numerous bits of paper in longhand.
- In the seminary classroom I taught relative clauses by transcribing examples of Kiswahili sentences on the blackboard with their English equivalents.
- Should I, perhaps, apply more editorial distance when transcribing my notes to your page?
- 1.2Arrange (a piece of music) for a different instrument, voice, or group of these: his largest early work was transcribed for organMore example sentences
- In those early years he would frequently transcribe orchestral music for the organ.
- They also transcribed music for the instrument from many sources, most notably the harpsichord, violin and piano.
- Liszt developed a physical virtuosity for the instrument and transcribed for it, sacrificing musical subtlety to an astonishing mechanical technique.
- 1.3 Biochemistry Synthesize (a nucleic acid, typically RNA) using an existing nucleic acid, typically DNA, as a template, thus copying the genetic information in the latter.More example sentences
- The ligated mRNA is reverse transcribed using a general or gene-specific primer.
- However, additional studies are needed to determine if Twin is actually transcribed by polymerase III.
- Thus, the Y-linked copy of the S. latifolia spermidine synthase gene is actively transcribed.
- More example sentences
- Perhaps we need to be reminded of one crucial part of our job that of transcriber, of recorder, as the keeper of the story.
- It is divided among a selection of transcribers.
- For his part, he says he cannot reveal the size of the underlying archive the transcribers had access to because it would endanger their safety.
mid 16th century (in the sense 'make a copy in writing'): from Latin transcribere, from trans- 'across' + scribere 'write'.