1Involving a violation of accepted or imposed boundaries, especially those of social acceptability: her experiences of transgressive love with both sexes
More example sentences
- In a society where arranged marriage is the norm, and deployed by families to maintain divisions of class and caste, romantic love is potentially highly transgressive.
- The fact that it speaks so eloquently, yet with such brutal honesty, about persecution and transgressive love must be attributed in large part to its director's own turbulent and troubled life.
- In the cultural anxiety produced by genocide, mixed-race babies in particular are a sign of transgressive potential for love and adaptation between the races, and must be neutralised.
1.1Relating to fiction, cinematography, or art in which orthodox cultural, moral, and artistic boundaries are challenged by the representation of unconventional behavior and the use of experimental forms.
- I guess sometimes transgressive art gets too transgressive even for artists.
- In doing so, Manet inaugurated the transgressive period.
- One shack houses a collection of books by and about the transgressive French writer.
1.2 Geology (Of a stratum) overlapping others unconformably, especially as a result of marine transgression.
- The present study was conducted entirely in U2 plutonic rocks, which, in the Bonifacio area, are locally covered by Miocene transgressive marine sediments.
- This interpretation is supported by the arrangement of intervening strata into transgressive and regressive cycles.
- The bulk of sediment accumulated during this main regressive phase is made up of the deposits of braided fluvial systems that prograded over the early transgressive coastal facies.
Words that rhyme with transgressiveaggressive, compressive, concessive, degressive, depressive, digressive, excessive, expressive, impressive, obsessive, oppressive, possessive, progressive, recessive, regressive, repressive, retrogressive, successive
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of transgressive in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.