Definition of transmarine in English:
1Situated or originating on the other side of the sea: an alien, or a transmarine stranger
More example sentences
- Foremost among these was the fact that it was a transmarine colony and a ‘colonia ciuium Romanorum’.
- Another reason for the non-installation of a rail system here is that Okinawa is a transmarine island, separated from mainland Japan.
1.1Of or involving crossing the sea: some birds make long transmarine migrations
More example sentences
- Dering's proposals for a transmarine telegraph are contained in his patent specification of August 15, 1853, from which we condense the following account.
- A transmarine voyage on the rickety ship would take more than a week.
- We know as yet little of the limitations or possibilities of marine and transmarine communication.
late 16th century: from Latin transmarinus, from trans- 'across' + marinus 'marine, of the sea'.
Words that rhyme with transmarineAberdeen, Amin, aquamarine, baleen, bean, been, beguine, Benin, between, canteen, careen, Claudine, clean, contravene, convene, cuisine, dean, Dene, e'en, eighteen, fascine, fedayeen, fifteen, figurine, foreseen, fourteen, Francine, gean, gene, glean, gombeen, green, Greene, Halloween, intervene, Janine, Jean, Jeannine, Jolene, Kean, keen, Keene, Ladin, langoustine, latrine, lean, limousine, machine, Maclean, magazine, Malines, margarine, marine, Mascarene, Massine, Maxine, mean, Medellín, mesne, mien, Moline, moreen, mujahedin, Nadine, nankeen, Nazarene, Nene, nineteen, nougatine, obscene, palanquin, peen, poteen, preen, quean, Rabin, Racine, ramin, ravine, routine, Sabine, saltine, sardine, sarin, sateen, scene, screen, seen, serene, seventeen, shagreen, shebeen, sheen, sixteen, spleen, spring-clean, squireen, Steen, submarine, supervene, tambourine, tangerine, teen, terrine, thirteen, treen, tureen, Tyrrhene, ultramarine, umpteen, velveteen, wean, ween, Wheen, yean
Definition of transmarine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia