Definition of transmogrify in English:
verb (transmogrifies, transmogrifying, transmogrified)[with object] chiefly humorous
Transform, especially in a surprising or magical manner: the cucumbers that were ultimately transmogrified into pickles
More example sentences
- Yet how this common set of tropes unfolds is hardly familiar, totally transmogrifying a well-worn stone of a concept into a profoundly deep theatrical gem.
- It, however, proves the pertinent fact that, if you have the financial power, you can transmogrify a nation of persecuted people into villains and a bunch of terrorists into heroes.
- Like infesting alien pods, American culture threatens to transmogrify the planet, as the speaker put it, into one big New Jersey.
mid 17th century: of unknown origin.
- Example sentences
- She's about 15, and she's going through that evil transmogrification that all teenage girls go through, where they grow scales and can breathe fire.
- This transmogrification is mainly government-induced.
- They are a reaction to oppression - or at least a transmogrification of the angry white male into the docile white wimp.
Definition of transmogrify in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan