Definition of transmogrify in English:
verb (transmogrifies, transmogrifying, transmogrified)[with object] chiefly humorous
Transform, especially in a surprising or magical manner: the cucumbers that were ultimately transmogrified into pickles
More example sentences
- Yet how this common set of tropes unfolds is hardly familiar, totally transmogrifying a well-worn stone of a concept into a profoundly deep theatrical gem.
- It, however, proves the pertinent fact that, if you have the financial power, you can transmogrify a nation of persecuted people into villains and a bunch of terrorists into heroes.
- Like infesting alien pods, American culture threatens to transmogrify the planet, as the speaker put it, into one big New Jersey.
- Example sentences
- She's about 15, and she's going through that evil transmogrification that all teenage girls go through, where they grow scales and can breathe fire.
- This transmogrification is mainly government-induced.
- They are a reaction to oppression - or at least a transmogrification of the angry white male into the docile white wimp.
Pronunciation: /tranzˌmäɡrəfəˈkāSHən/ /tran(t)sˌmäɡrəfəˈkāSHən/noun
Mid 17th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with transmogrifyvitrify • horrify
Definition of transmogrify in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.