Definition of transporter in English:
1A person or thing that transports something, in particular.
- For example, for a long time the government did not allow the non-life insurers to revise upwards the motor insurance premium rates due to the pressure from the transporters' lobby.
- By the time a product arrives on the supermarket shelf the cost of the food is a small proportion of the total, which has been bumped up by transporters, packagers, distributors and retailers.
- It is incumbent upon the authorities to meet with road transporters and where need be smooth out the technical details of how maize could be brought into the country without delay.
1.1A large vehicle used to carry heavy objects, e.g., cars.
- Kits protecting heavy expanded mobility trucks, medium tactical vehicles and heavy equipment transporters were rushed to the theater.
- This is especially the case with outsize vehicles, like heavy trucks and tank transporters.
- The £300 million deal involves supplying tank transporters to bring heavy armour to the battlefield.
1.2(In science fiction) a device that conveys people or things instantaneously from one place to another.
- This device is called a transporter, which makes a lot of sense when you think about it.
- Aficionados all share a certain fondness for the transporter, the device that allowed the intrepid crew of the Enterprise to plunk down on various planets without benefit of spacecraft.
- The subway must have been the original inspiration for the transporter device used in the series.
Definition of transporter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan