1North American A quadrilateral with only one pair of parallel sides.
- For example, Angel consists of three layers of open triangles, trapezoids, parallelograms and pentagons, once again made of wood.
- Wood blinds, meanwhile, can fit a variety of applications, including quarter arches, full arches, angles, trapezoids, hexagons and triangles.
- The key elements of our total approach include measurements, models, and data, which are represented by the black squares, trapezoids, and ellipses respectively.
1.1British A quadrilateral with no sides parallel. Compare with trapezium.
- He has invented the trisosceles trapezoid (or trapezium as we say in the UK).
- It is not an easy show: a dozen works on paper, single coloured trapezoids, subtle curves and rhomboids, hung sparely in a stark white interior.
- The bold monochrome panels in other works, such as the juxtaposed trapezoids in the Birds Over Loop pieces, are reminiscent of Sean Scully's paintings.
2 (also trapezoid bone) Anatomy A small carpal bone in the base of the hand, articulating with the metacarpal of the index finger.
- During surgery, we observed partial or complete detachment of the trapezoid and deltoid muscles from the lateral clavicle in all patients.
- Complete dislocation of the acromioclavicular joint with avulsion of the trapezoid and deltoid muscle results in a decrease in upper extremity strength.
- The distal row of carpals includes the hamate, capitate, trapezium, and trapezoid, which are closely approximated to the metacarpals.
- Example sentences
- Each of the openings has a substantially triangular shape, trapezoidal or semicircular shape.
- The opening between adjacent cells is trapezoidal or polygonal.
- Dating to the 4th millennium bc, these long barrows have rectangular or trapezoidal mounds, shallow forecourts at the higher and wider ends of the mounds, and in some cases an elaborated façade of large upright slabs.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of trapezoid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.