Definition of tread water in English:
1 (past treaded water or trod water) Maintain an upright position in deep water by moving the feet with a walking movement and the hands with a downward circular motion.
- The skipper treads water as a Navy diver waits for a line to be thrown from the Oryx helicopter.
- Her head popped up from under the water and she laughed, treading water as he walked through the waves out to her.
- We were treading water in a large water basin in a generator room.
1.1Fail to advance or make progress: men who are treading water in their careers
More example sentences
- So when you see the elites floating away in their yachts while you're barely treading water, before you get angry, take a moment to feel their pain.
- Brando trod water a lot, so I might go for Mitchum.
- With a 10th win in 11 league games assured, the Old Trafford aristocrats trod water slightly after the interval.
Definition of tread water in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan