- 1 (past treaded) Maintain an upright position in deep water by moving the feet with a walking movement and the hands with a downward circular motion.More example sentences
- The skipper treads water as a Navy diver waits for a line to be thrown from the Oryx helicopter.
- Her head popped up from under the water and she laughed, treading water as he walked through the waves out to her.
- We were treading water in a large water basin in a generator room.
- 1.1Fail to advance or make progress: men who are treading water in their careersMore example sentences
- So when you see the elites floating away in their yachts while you're barely treading water, before you get angry, take a moment to feel their pain.
- Brando trod water a lot, so I might go for Mitchum.
- With a 10th win in 11 league games assured, the Old Trafford aristocrats trod water slightly after the interval.
More definitions of tread waterDefinition of tread water in:
- The British & World English dictionary