- 1A lever worked by the foot that imparts motion to a machine.More example sentences
- She had a treadle sewing machine and mended everything.
- My mother wasn't good at sewing but she had a treadle sewing machine and patched and patched.
- Franklin's glass armonica, which rests in a mahogany veneered case on cabriole legs and pad feet, was probably originally fitted with a foot treadle to rotate the axle on which the color-coded glass bowls were mounted.
verb[with object] Back to top
Old English tredel 'stair, step' (see tread).
More definitions of treadleDefinition of treadle in:
- The British & World English dictionary