Definition of treadmill in English:
1A device formerly used for driving machinery, consisting of a large wheel with steps fitted into its inner surface. It was turned by the weight of people or animals treading the steps.
- Where humans worked against gravity, as they did inside cage wheels and upon treadmills, we can calculate the power outputs.
- The work required of workhouse inmates, especially the treadmill, was so hard that most apprentices were unable to work for several days upon their return to the plantation.
- The original carousel opened in 1871 and was powered by a blind mule and a horse which walked a treadmill in an underground pit.
1.1An exercise machine, typically with a continuous belt, that allows one to walk or run in place.
- Exercise therapy comprised an individualised aerobic exercise programme, mostly walking on treadmills and cycling on exercise bicycles.
- The six male and six female participants completed four 90-minute walks on a treadmill in a refrigerated wind tunnel.
- For exercise, each subject walked on a treadmill at a rate sufficient to achieve a minute ventilation that was approximately 3 times his or her resting rate.
1.2A job or situation that is tiring, boring, or unpleasant and from which it is hard to escape: the soulless treadmill of urban existence
More example sentences
- While debt relief has been extremely effective, it is not sufficient to allow poor countries escape the treadmill of borrowing to repay old loans.
- In 1995, his second book, Ocean of Sound, provided a handy escape from the journalistic treadmill.
- New to Scotland, the classes are being booked up by people who have grown tired of the treadmill and are taking up tassels instead.
Definition of treadmill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan