Definition of tree fern in English:
A large palmlike fern with a trunklike stem bearing a crown of large fronds, sometimes reaching a height of 24 m and occurring chiefly in the tropics, particularly the southern hemisphere.
- Cyatheaceae and related families, class Filicopsida: seven genera, in particular Cyathea and Dicksonia
- The flat, strappy foliage of the exotic night bloomer contrasts texturally with a bed companion, the enormous, finely cut fronds of an Australian tree fern.
- The new Mediterranean Garden is beginning to grow, and the new tree fern now has 6 fronds and more coming on.
- In a partial cross section of a tree fern that lived about 200 million years ago, blue chalcedony (a type of quartz) and orange iron oxides and hydroxides have replaced the original structures.
Definition of tree fern in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.