Definition of triangulation in English:
1(In surveying) the tracing and measurement of a series or network of triangles in order to determine the distances and relative positions of points spread over a territory or region, especially by measuring the length of one side of each triangle and deducing its angles and the length of the other two sides by observation from this baseline.
- The position of the receiver is determined by triangulation, except that in this case, the distance to four GPS satellites is used to determine the receiver's position in three dimensions.
- From 1890 to 1893 he worked for the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey and developed triangulation methods of surveying which were less expensive and more accurate than those employed up to that time.
- The GPS transceivers exchange ranging signals among themselves, and then triangulation methods enable relative positioning of the devices.
2Formation of or division into triangles.
- Exploiting basic structural concepts of triangulation and curvilinearity in order to produce an inherently rigid, yet dynamic form, the light, ephemeral pavilion sits serenely above a small pool.
- Could this 72-degree bound be achieved by a triangulation in which all triangles met edge to edge?
- The edges E are actually edges of future triangles, obtained by triangulation.
3chiefly US (In politics) the action or process of positioning oneself in such a way as to appeal to or appease both left-wing and right-wing standpoints.
- The two answers taken together were a form of triangulation worthy of Bill Clinton.
- The central argument was a reaffirmation of Third Way triangulation.
- Congressional doves, by uniting around a strong offensive eschewing triangulation weakened the president.
Definition of triangulation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan