Definition of triathlon in English:
An athletic contest consisting of three different events, typically swimming, cycling, and long-distance running.
- It's not including her numerous medals and trophies for triathlons, pentathlons and track and field events.
- I watch with awe as they compete in a triathlon, pentathlon or even a decathlon
- Chris Brogan was the only wheelchair athlete to complete the Olympic triathlon distance.
1970s: from tri- 'three', on the pattern of decathlon.
- Example sentences
- One year on from the globally acclaimed 2002 Commonwealth Games, many of the world's leading triathletes plan to mark its first anniversary with another memorable sporting spectacular.
- There are just 300 places left for budding amateur triathletes, with the race open to anyone over 17, no matter their level of fitness.
- Up to 150 of the world's best triathletes will be chasing valuable World Cup points, while thousands more will take part in a series of support races.
Definition of triathlon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia