An athletic contest consisting of three different events, typically swimming, cycling, and long-distance running.
More example sentences
- It's not including her numerous medals and trophies for triathlons, pentathlons and track and field events.
- I watch with awe as they compete in a triathlon, pentathlon or even a decathlon
- Chris Brogan was the only wheelchair athlete to complete the Olympic triathlon distance.
1970s: from tri- 'three', on the pattern of decathlon.
- More example sentences
- One year on from the globally acclaimed 2002 Commonwealth Games, many of the world's leading triathletes plan to mark its first anniversary with another memorable sporting spectacular.
- There are just 300 places left for budding amateur triathletes, with the race open to anyone over 17, no matter their level of fitness.
- Up to 150 of the world's best triathletes will be chasing valuable World Cup points, while thousands more will take part in a series of support races.
Definition of triathlon in:
- The British & World English dictionary