Definition of tribade in English:
A lesbian, especially one who lies on top of her partner and simulates the movements of the male in heterosexual intercourse.
- Eva Cantarella notes that a tribade was a homosexual woman in antiquity, who was condemned, as Laqueur points out, for ‘playing the role of the man’.
- What trials and tribulations life holds for tribades, especially those clinging to an upper-class existence in 19th Century Boston?
- Today most historians of the French Revolution are familiar with Marie Antoinette's eighteenth-century reputation as treacherous tribade, incestuous mother, and bloodthirsty Austrian wolf.
- Example sentences
- I find mutual tribadism to be one of the most exciting and satisfying sexual acts I have shared with another woman.
- Society found these types of women to be deviants, and therefore, tribadism was often referred to as being the ‘silent sin’.
- Tribadism is a popular way for lesbians to have sex.
Early 17th century: from French tribade, or via Latin from Greek tribas, from tribein 'to rub'.
Definition of tribade in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.